October 1, 2019 Update: our Diocesan Profile is live! Visit the 11th Bishop of Oregon Search and Transition website to read it and view information on how to apply or nominate a prospective candidate.
Dear Friends in Christ,
Continuing the Search and Transition process begun in May when Bishop Michael announced his desire to retire by January 2021, the Standing Committee met with the Rev. Beth Mallon, chair of the Transition Committee, to appoint the Transition Committee members on September 5. The Standing Committee and Beth+ worked hard to choose from a highly qualified pool of applicants, a group of people whom we felt could best work together as the Transition Committee to coordinate the walkabout, electing convention, and ordination and consecration of the next Bishop of Oregon.
The people whom we chose to do this important work are:
- Susan Colvin – St. Thomas, Eugene
- The Rev. Helen Durany – St. Barnabas, McMinnville
- Susan Lee Hall – St. Luke, Grants Pass
- Terri Hoffman – St. Francis of Assisi, Wilsonville
- Jack Mandeville – All Saints, Portland
- Sonja Miller – All Saints, Portland
- The Rev. Robert Morrison – St. Alban, Albany
- The Rev. Dennis Parker – St. David of Wales, Portland
- The Rev. Canon Raggs Ragan – Trinity Cathedral, Portland
- Susie Silva Strommer – St. Michael and All Angels, Portland
- Bonnie Umland – Christ Church, Lake Oswego
We urge you to continue to pray for everyone involved in the Search and Transition process, and to look for ways you can involve yourself as well.
Your Standing Committee:
Sharon Rodgers, President, The Rev. David Sweeney, Secretary, Laurea Arnoldt, The Rev. Nancy Gallagher, The Rev. Patricia Hale, James Johnson, Toni Phipps, The Rev. Karen Tiegs
A Prayer for the Bishop Search in the Diocese of Oregon:
“For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11)
Eternal God, our times are in your hands. We trust in your providence and care for each of us and for the Diocese of Oregon. Guide us by your Holy Spirit that in all our praying, planning, discerning and decisions for the election of our new bishop that your plans unfold with grace and power through the work you have given us to do. Unify the Diocese in love and strengthen our faith in Jesus Christ. It is in his Name we pray. Amen.