St. David of Wales Episcopal Church is seeking a part-time Parish Administrator responsible for communication, office administration, and support of the parish. This on-site role works closely with staff, building partners, and volunteers. The right candidate must be organized, comfortable with deadlines, and flexible. Hospitality and collaboration are crucial to success in this role.
St. David of Wales is an Episcopal church located in the Division/Hawthorn neighborhood of inner SE Portland. As an active, intergenerational congregation, the members of St. Davids represent a community committed to the values of the Anglican tradition, such as creativity, diverse spiritual practice, community life, and creation care. St. Davids is an opening and affirming congregation welcoming people from all backgrounds and identities into full participation in church life, including the houseless, the LGBTQ community, and more. St. Davids is profoundly committed to social justice, looking to participate in work that ensures Black lives matter, people have the resources they need, and no one is turned away from love or dignity.
Applications for this position must be submitted by January 20th by filling out the form linked
below. This position will be scheduled to work 19 hours per week, earning $20 per hour.
- Producing regular electronic and printed communications through email and social media on a weekly basis according to hard deadlines
- Providing a welcoming atmosphere to building partners, visitors, and parishioners
- Office administration
- Administrative support for rector, vestry, and other staff
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities
- Effective communication skills (written and spoken)
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures
- Proficiency—or demonstrated aptitude in learning new things—in computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Publisher, Quickbooks, Google tools, Mailchimp, and Weebly
- Familiarity with social media publishing and online communication protocols (Facebook messaging, online posting, text messaging, threads, etc.)
- Comfortable with the functions of publishing information online, including video publishing via YouTube (training provided)
- Comfort and enthusiasm in working in person with volunteers
- Comfort with and hospitable attitude towards houseless people
- Comfort with working alone in the building with unlocked doors
- Independence and initiative
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position, as outlined below
- Maintain a physical presence in the building during office hours
- Receive guests, both on the phone and in person, providing information and referral as needed
- Open doors, turn on lights, brew coffee if guests are expected for meetings or volunteer work, keep office in functional order, empty trash cans and organize files
- Shut down building at the end of the day, unless building partners or renters are still present
- Tidy kitchen at end of week (e.g., run accumulated coffee cups and glasses through dishwasher, throw out food that is unmarked, launder dish towels)
- Social Media: Primary parish publisher for information about the parish on social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Yelp, Google, etc.
- Phone and email correspondence with visitors and parishioners
- Collect, edit, and publish weekly email newsletters
- Collect, edit, and print service bulletins
- Edit, upload, and share video recordings of sermons and services (training provided for our online systems). Use of YouTube and basic editing software.
- Maintain information on hallway bulletin board
- Update web pages on Weebly as needed, keeping our parish website content current, fresh, engaging, and working
- Maintain, print, and restock St. David’s brochures, forms, visitor cards, etc.
- Sort all incoming mail and finalize print mailings to parishioners
- Manage building calendar for parish events and partner with Building Curator (Building Curator has primary responsibility for building calendar)
- Keep office organized, tidy, and supplies stocked
- Maintain parishioner database in Church Windows
- Recruit, train, and work alongside office volunteers as needed
- Recruit, train, and work alongside office volunteers
- Attend staff meetings
- Must be able to pass the Episcopal Diocese of Oregon background check and complete Safe Church trainings
- High school graduation equivalency and/or demonstrated life experience that demonstrates the ability to perform structured office tasks and complete long-term projects.
- Basic English grammar, spelling, and writing abilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
St. David of Wales Episcopal Church is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. St. David of Wales Episcopal Church makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.