CLICK HERE if you have news or an event to submit to our events calendar
- This event has passed.
Caring for Veterans Community Clergy Training Program
March 12, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Many Veterans and their family members seek help for their problems from ministry leaders. The Community Clergy Training Program in Portland can help prepare you to support them.
As a ministry leader, you and your house of worship are an important contact point for Veterans in your community. Sometimes clergy and other ministry leaders are not aware of the Veterans in their congregation or how they might help a Veteran and their family following deployment. Other times, ministry leaders may recognize Veterans who are struggling in their return to civilian life, but not know how to support them.
The National Chaplain Service of the Department of Veterans Affairs and the VA Portland Health Care System Chaplain Service invite clergy, ministry leaders, and interested lay persons from across the spiritual and/or religious spectrum to attend a free interactive training in Portland.
This event will be held:
March 12, 2020 from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
West Portland United Methodist Church
4729 SW Taylors Ferry Road, Portland, OR 97219
Please bring a sack lunch; or there are also several food options nearby.
Training topics will include:
• Identifying potential conflicts between civilian and military cultures.
• Identifying actions community clergy can take to assist military personnel and their families with a healthy adjustment to a civilian culture.
• Types of common military events that can cause adjustment problems for military personnel and the psychiatric and psychological responses that often follow.
• Identifying the relationship between spirituality and “meaning making.”
• The importance of Personal Narratives and Past, Present and Future Stories.
• Identifying pastoral responses and resources for clergy and their congregations.
Seating is limited for this FREE event, so please register ASAP by contacting Chaplain Christopher J. Boswell below. Registration closes March 10.
CH. Christopher J. Boswell
Chaplain Christopher J. Boswell, M.Div.
Outpatient Mental Health Chaplain Fellow
Phone: 503-220-8262 ext. 58586 or 57021