St. Paul’s Parish in Oregon City was organized in 1851 and ever since has been a constant presence overlooking the confluence of the Willamette and Clackamas rivers. Certainly it is an historic Episcopal parish in Oregon. Over the years, many folks have retained connection to this parish even after moving away from the area. Folks with diverse life experiences travel from many surrounding communities to gather at St. Paul’s. They find a warm and genuinely welcoming spirit in this place. We gather with each other to worship God, engage with the Word of God, consider how the Spirit is in motion in our lives and in the world, and share our joys and sorrows with each other.
In a world marked by isolation, cynicism, fear, and anger we strive to be a community of generosity, respect, kindness, love, cooperation, hope, joy and new life. We strive to grow in God’s wisdom as we journey along The Way.
Of course, like every parish, we share many meals with each other. Food ministry is a very important part of the life of this parish. We participate in an ecumenical food pantry, we provide nutritious meals for local school children to take home over the weekend, and nearly every Thursday evening we invite anyone from the community to share a tasty and well-rounded dinner made from scratch in our kitchen.
It can be challenging to make room for each other at the table, as we worship, and in our lives. But as we do, we are reminded of the love of Christ in this place and through the lives of these people. We are thankful for God’s blessings throughout these 167 years and counting.