- Provides spiritual, religious and emotional care and services for patients, family, staff and community members within the site.
- In addition to the daytime hours (56hrs per pay period), this position will also have responsibility for after-hours pager coverage two weekends per month and averaging two nights per week. Pager coverage will be for Samaritan Albany General Hospital, Samaritan Lebanon Community Hospital, and Samaritan Evergreen Hospice House, so the chaplain will need to be able to travel to all of those sites within 30 minutes.
The Chaplain Services teams at Samaritan Health Services provide services for the spiritual, religious and emotional needs of patients, families, employees, students and volunteers. We provide a supportive presence in the midst of crisis, with respect and support for a variety of belief and cultural perspectives.
- Undergraduate degree and a Master’s in Divinity or an equivalent degree in theology from an accredited theological school required.
- Ordained, licensed, endorsed or commissioned in a faith-based denomination for two (2) years required.
- Four (4) units of Clinical Pastoral Education required from an ACPE center or equivalent (as endorsed by APC, NACC, NAJC, CPSP, SCA).
- Board Certified Chaplain (BCC) through APC, NACC, NAJC, SCA, or CPSP within 2 years of hire required.
- One (1) year of chaplaincy experience required.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Ability to respond quickly and appropriately to urgent medical situations that may arise with high risk or diverse patient populations. Ability to adjust actions in relation to others and adapt treatment to offer best possible care to patients.
- Communication: Effective written and oral communication skills to explain complex issues, exchange information between team members, and tactfully discuss quality issues. Ability to perform group presentations and listen to and understand complex information and ideas.
- Social Perceptiveness: Ability to work with a diverse population from pediatrics to geriatrics. Basic understanding of age-related differences in caring for and communicating with patients and caregivers. Possess personal sensitivity to the needs and experiences of others and a non-judgmental attitude towards persons of differing standards, values, lifestyles, and ages.
- Team Building: Ability to work, function and communicate on a multi-disciplinary team. Possess the knowledge and skills to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others and maintain them over time.
- Conflict resolution: Ability to proactively resolve conflicts in a positive and constructive manner. Possess the knowledge and skills to handle complaints, settle disputes, and negotiate with others to reach mutually beneficial decisions.
- Customer Service: Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services and evaluation of customer satisfaction.