As part of our Safe Church, Safe Communities policy review, we are implementing additional updates to our diocesan practices and policies. We will work with each community this year to implement these updates throughout our Diocese. As of June 1, Derek Moyer is the Safe Church coordinator. Please direct questions about Safe Church to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Episcopal Church recommends that the Safe Church, Safe Communities training be renewed every 3 years. Beginning this year, we are requiring this renewal every 3 years. It is integral to our baptismal covenant that we continue to take care of our communities by ensuring our leaders are trained in best practices for keeping our people safe. The new curriculum is a significantly shorter time commitment than previous iterations of the Safe Church training.
In addition to requiring Safe Church renewal every 3 years, we are expanding the number of congregational leaders who are required to complete the training. Because everyone serving in ministry and leadership roles is a leader in our communities, it is important that we train all of our leaders and ministers in our Diocese.
Finally, this year we will also begin requiring background checks of a more extensive group of leaders in our communities.
Effective July 2022, these are the leaders in our communities who are required to complete Safe Church training and have Praesidium background checks. Questions about these changes can be directed to Derek Moyer, email@example.com.
- All members of the clergy whether stipendiary or non-stipendiary
- All interns and persons in the ordination process
- All paid employees
- All unpaid lay leadership (wardens, treasurers, vestry/BAC members, members of other boards)
- The following ministers licensed under Canon III.4: Pastoral Leaders, Worship Leaders, Preachers, Eucharistic Ministers, Eucharistic Visitors, and Catechists
- All volunteers (age 16 and over) who work with children and youth. Volunteers age 12-14 are welcome to take the training with a parent either online or face-to-face. We do not recommend this training for children under 12.
- Other persons who have pastoral relationships (Stephen ministers, spiritual directors, counselors, peer mentors, life coaches, etc.)