Trinity celebrates diversity and is committed to creating a safe & nurturing environment for all employees. Administrative employees are not required to belong to any particular faith. All are welcome to apply!
Position Title Canon for Spiritual Formation
Job Category Ministry
Status Full-time, exempt
Compensation DOE; comprehensive health/dental insurance, full pension, PTO
Desired Start Date: June 1, 2023
Application Deadline: February 1, 2023
Trinity Episcopal Cathedral in downtown Portland, Oregon, seeks a priest or lay professional with demonstrated experience and expertise in adult spiritual formation, inter-religious dialogue, and the arts. The successful candidate will have a passion for the mission of the church, for the role of formation in fulfilling that mission, and a passion for lifelong learning and development in the Christian life.
Trinity is a vibrant, engaged, and inclusive faith community renowned for its worship and music, educational offerings, and outreach to the community. Adult education has long been a “signature” ministry of the Cathedral, and the successful candidate will be able to honor and build on this history while bringing new energy and gifts to this program area.
- Primary coordinator of adult education programming at Trinity. Schedules and recruits teachers for Sunday morning forums, Wednesday evening classes, and monthly Saturday “mini-retreats.” As “lead teacher,” teaches courses on a wide variety of topics, including scripture, history, liturgy, spirituality, prayer, and other areas of experience and interest.
- Oversees and coordinates guest lectures and workshops at Trinity, working with dean and cathedral leadership to steward the legacy and resources of the Center for Spiritual Development and the Ann Weikel History Trust.
- In partnership with Dean, staff team, and Spiritual Formation Commission, articulates and embodies a vision for education and formation that shifts away from “information acquisition” approach towards a holistic lifelong formation vision. This may include development of new educational programs, as well as the ongoing audit and review of existing programs and small groups.
- In partnership with staff team, discerns an appropriate approach to pastoral care in a large parish setting, working with lay and clergy leadership to develop a team approach that will ably utilize priestly gifts for pastoral care, while crafting a robust community approach that invites and equips members of the congregation to care compassionately for one another in need.
- Full participant in the preaching and liturgical rotas of the Cathedral, including week-day services, weddings and funerals, and participates in staff planning and visioning around liturgy and ministry programming.
- Oversees the work of Trinity Arts Commission, Labyrinth Guild, and other small groups, ensuring appropriate communication, support and oversight of engaged lay leadership.
- M.Div/MA/MTS in Theology or Religion, or equivalent
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching and educational development
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Pastoral heart and ability to connect widely across ages and experiences.
- Excellence in preaching and presiding
- Committed to the ongoing mission of Trinity Cathedral and The Episcopal Church, and the ability to articulate and embody this mission as an educator and minister.
Applicants should submit a cover letter & resume to Shana McCauley, Canon for Cathedral Life, at email@example.com by Wednesday, February 1
About Trinity Episcopal Cathedral:
Trinity is a progressive and welcoming congregation in Northwest Portland aspiring to radical hospitality: our doors swing wide to embrace people of many faiths and no faith. With approximately 1800 active members, we welcome thousands of guests and visitors each year for captivating classes and divine concerts, as well as our daily food pantry, which provides over 30,000 nourishing meals a year to our city’s most vulnerable.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a safe & nurturing environment for all employees regardless of race, ethnicity, beliefs, national origin, learning styles, disability, sexuality or gender expression. Learn more at trinity-episcopal.org