The Campus Steward (Sexton) at Grace Memorial is a full-time position, supervised by the Parish Manager while working closely with the Rector, Jr. Warden, all other staff, and with Grace Institute. The Steward supports the parish by keeping the buildings and grounds clean, safe and well maintained, setting up rooms as needed, and by providing security protection to the people and property of Grace. The position requires physical stamina and an ability to identify and resolve problems responsibly. The Steward must be committed to upholding Grace’s core values of providing a safe and welcoming environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Steward must be observant of the needs, conditions, safety and security issues of the church and respond accordingly. Some duties may be assigned a stated frequency, but if an area needs attention more often, that will take priority over the frequency listed. Some duties may be listed on a regular basis and others performed as needed. For example:
- Conduct daily building and grounds walk-through for anything unusual or out of place and address as needed; pick up and remove litter and debris
- Examine doors, windows and gates to make sure they are secure and inspect for signs of improper entry, report to supervisor for incident report and correction
- Daily check all doors are locked at the end of the day or when the office closes
- For renter/events beyond the end of shift, make sure of arrangements with the person in charge for access and for return of the key, and that lock up procedures are well understood
- Assist those on campus in need of directions, help locate a place or person; walk people to cars at night when requested
- Watch for, respond and report security and safety hazards, such as unauthorized persons, suspicious circumstances, physical, fire and mechanical hazards. Make contact or assess persons causing difficulty and respond appropriately
- Monitors people entering and leaving the building, intervening with de-escalation methods as appropriate and required; becomes familiar with neighborhood and engages as a neighbor
- Provides appropriate medical assistance as required, including first aid, AED, CPR, calling for assistance when needed
- Mow lawn, rake and remove leaves, trim hedges, pressure wash steps, ramp and sidewalks
- Daily check for burned out light bulbs and batteries and replace
- Check during snow/ice that sidewalks and steps are cleared, sanded or de-iced
- Be in regular contact with the Rector, Parish Manager for scheduled use of the facilities, special services, etc. for set up/break down as requested for parish and outside groups
- Clean before and after special events, weddings, funerals, etc. including bathrooms
- Vacuum all carpeting (nave, breezeway, hall, fireplace room, vestry, nursery, etc.)
- Mop kitchen, bathrooms, nave, narthex, parish hall, basement hall, all rooms and offices according to schedule and as needed
- Clean toilets, sinks, counters; replace supplies; dust; clean sills/windows
- Empty all trash and recycling receptacles regularly; maintain trash/recycling area outside
- Submit supply purchase requests to Parish Manager
- Perform minor repairs, report repairs and maintenance needs
- Use janitorial power equipment such as mower, power washer, hedge trimmer in a safe and professional manner and properly maintain all tools and equipment
- Participate in periodic performance reviews and goal setting by the Rector and Parish Manager
- Other duties as assigned
Qualities and Skills Required
- Absolute dependability and honesty required.
- Comfortable and effective as a team member
- Able to work independently with limited day to day guidance or monitoring
- Strong relational skills, service orientation, comfortable working with or guiding wide range of people including parish volunteers and visitors for sack lunches
- Be able to communicate in oral and written form; read, understand and follow instructions and schedules
- Must be flexible, adapting to special services, meetings or activities at the church
- Must have knowledge of general tool use. Be aware and follow safe working procedures
- Aptitude and willingness to learn new skills on the job
- GED or High School Diploma preferred or one year or equivalent of janitorial duties or training
- Reliable transportation and Insurance
Although Grace is a religious organization, the Sexton’s religious affiliation is immaterial. However, sensitivity to the identity and mission of Grace is necessary for effectiveness in this role as is a willingness to learn relevant terms and practices of the church.
The position involves work in a wide range of conditions that can be physically demanding. The Sexton must be able to:
- Lift, carry, push, pull and lift and carry up to 50 lbs. Transport up to 150 lbs. with mechanical assistance
- Climb, crawl, stoop, kneel, climb steps and ladders
- Tolerate exposure to heat and cold in inclement weather
- Safely operate and properly maintain power tools and other tools and equipment
- Additional Provisions
- Upon employment, the first three months are considered probationary
- Adheres to and provides proper information to abide by all health, safety and covid 19 policies including the covid 19 vaccination policy of the Episcopal Diocese of Oregon and of Grace Memorial Episcopal Church.
- Vacations must be approved in advance. Absence due to illness or emergency must be brought to the Parish Manager’s attention immediately
- Difficulties and challenges are to be brought to the Parish Manager’s attention for assistance; triumphs and accomplishments are to be brought to the Parish Manager and staff for celebration
- Applicants must undergo a background check and child safety training upon employment.
- This position is subject to employment at will under the terms of Oregon law.
The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the job, may change from time to time, and are not intended to be all-inclusive.
Hours to be determined. Approximately 30 hours per week
Salary according to experience.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Kris Doty, Parish Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Grace Memorial Episcopal Church