The Standing Committee is the body of lay and clergy members of the Diocese elected by the annual Diocesan Convention and authorized by the Canons of the Episcopal Church as the Bishop’s Council of Advice. If there is no Diocesan or Suffragan or Coadjutor Bishop canonically authorized to act, the Standing Committee becomes the Ecclesiastical Authority of the Diocese for all purposes declared by General Convention.
The Standing Committee advises the Bishop and gives consent in matters of the disposition of property, ecclesiastical discipline, the election and consecration of Bishops, and in the matter of candidates for ordained ministry. The election of members and the terms and conditions of their office are defined by the Canons of the Diocese of Oregon.
The Standing Committee meets monthly online. The Standing Committee, Board of Trustees, & Diocesan Council meet together three times a year.
The members of the Standing Committee are:
- The Rev. Kristina Burbank, Deacon (St. James Santiago, Lincoln City)
- Megan Colwell (St. Barnabas, Portland)
- Susan Mekarski (St. Francis of Assisi, Wilsonville)
- Don Metheny (St. Mary, Eugene)
- The Rev. Greg Rainey, Deacon (St. John the Evangelist, Milwaukie)
- The Rev. Gavin Shumate (St. John, Toledo)
- The Rev. Agustin Valadez (St. Mary, Woodburn) - President
- Juanita Weber (St. David of Wales, Portland)