October 1, 2019 Update: our Diocesan Profile is live! Visit the 11th Bishop of Oregon Search and Transition website to read it and view information on how to apply or nominate a prospective candidate.
Dear Friends in Christ,
As we continue the search and transition process begun last month when Bishop Michael announced his intention to retire in January 2021, the Standing Committee has appointed Martin Loring (St. Paul’s, Salem) to chair the Search Committee and the Rev. Beth Mallon (St. James, Tigard) to chair the Transition Committee.
While the Transition Committee will not be appointed until September, the Standing Committee and Martin worked hard at a meeting on June 6 to choose a group of people we felt could best work together as the Search Committee to carry out the process that leads to a list of finalists to be our next bishop.
From a highly qualified pool of applicants, we appointed the following people:
- Mary Adams (St. Thomas, Eugene)
- Marie Bagwell (St. Michael & All Angels, Portland)
- The Rev. Sallie Bowman (Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center, Portland)
- Barbara Brecht (St. David of Wales, Portland)
- The Rev. Brandon Filbert (St. Timothy’s, Salem)
- The Rev. Ernestein Flemister (St. Luke’s, Grants Pass)
- The Rev. Timothy Hannon (St. James, Coquille)
- The Very Rev. Nathan LeRud (Trinity Cathedral, Portland)
- The Rev. Shana McCauley (St. Edward’s, Silverton)
- The Rev. Deacon Allan Miles (St. Martin’s, Shady Cove)
- Alan Murray (Trinity Cathedral, Portland)
- The Rev. Bingham Powell (St. Mary’s, Eugene)
- Cindy Russell (St. Francis of Assisi, Wilsonville)
- Becky Snow (Trinity, Ashland)
In addition to these fourteen committee members and Martin, we chose the Rev. Maria McDowell (St. Philip the Deacon, Portland) to serve as Search Committee chaplain.
We urge you to continue to pray for everyone involved in the search and transition process, and to look for ways you can involve yourself as well.
Your Standing Committee
Sharon Rodgers, President, The Rev. David Sweeney, Secretary, James Johnson, The Rev. Karen Tiegs, Laurea Arnoldt, The Rev. Nancy Gallagher, Toni Phipps, The Rev. Patricia Hale
A Prayer for the Bishop Search in the Diocese of Oregon:
“For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.” Jeremiah 29:11
Eternal God, our times are in your hands. We trust in your providence and care for each of us and for the Diocese of Oregon. Guide us by your Holy Spirit that in all our praying, planning, discerning and decisions for the election of our new bishop that your plans unfold with grace and power through the work you have given us to do. Unify the Diocese in love and strengthen our faith in Jesus Christ. It is in his Name we pray. Amen.